Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Over The Hump or Over The Hill....

Well, it appears that our marathon training has finally turned the corner....the finish line is in sight. We've completed our final long run...or at least or last 20 plus mile run. With 20 days to go until Boston, now we are just concerned with maintaining fitness and getting fresh. If you ask me it's about time as well.

Our training has been good on paper, but it's been hard on the body. I'm only 26 but I can feel my body's regenerative capabilities slipping fast. I used to could do a hard effort and turn around the next morning and bust out a nice long run. Now I feel like I need 24 hours of recovery before I can do a run of any quality. So I am hoping that with the gradual taper that we've got coming up I'll begin to feel a bit refreshed. Overall I'm excited about the shape we're in but it seems like my body has gone in waves between nagging pains and smooth miles. I'm hoping that it's smooth miles from here on out.

Tapering has always been a sticky issue to me. In college I always felt like we tapered too much and my legs just felt confused and lazy. I think it is definitely different for each runner. One of my favorite coaches used to leave our workout schedules blank for the 24 hours preceding a race effort. When asked why he replied that we have to know our own bodies and learn what is the best way to get them primed for the big event. I like that approach. Some runners don't run the day before a race and some do. I like to do at least an easy 5 mile run to loosen the legs. You have to always put yourself in position to succeed in a race. That is the best strategy even after the race has started. Just keep yourself within range of success and sometimes you surprise yourself and pop a good one.

Since Saturday's 22 mile run I've been going through the check list trying to pick out which clothes I'm going to run in, how many energy gels, how much fluids, how many bowel movements I need to get out before I toe the line, etc. You've got to think of as many scenarios that might come up as possible. Nothing makes me more angry when I see a veteran runner make a stupid mistake that could have been avoided. It seems like every post I manage to work in my bowel movements. I apologize.

You get the idea....the finish line's in site and it's time to get everything in order. I always laugh inside when someone asks me if "I'm ready for the race." I try to answer honestly which is "not yet." Of course they act shocked and inquire why not. I explain that there is still a lot to do before race day. I have to hydrate, carb load, lube up, pack my bags, get my legs fresh, etc. I know I seem neurotic, but it's just the preparation mentality that I always go through before a big race. You can't skip ahead in the process....just gotta go through the check list.

I guess I'll see how the taper treats me and hope that I've drilled 6 minute miles into my legs enough for the long haul.

5 comments:

  1. Bowl movements... Check!
    Good post, baby... Check!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey man you will do your best and then someone else's best as well. You not only inspire and motivate the recreational runners you mention bowl movements in every post. Hope all is well for you brother!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hells bells I'm ready for this marathon. Too many little pains nagging, too many early morning runs, and too many... wait a second. You know what, never mind. I guess when I retired from running after college I figured I'd never train like this again and now that I am I enjoy all the benefits but despise the negative.... no longer. From now on it's the good with the bad. I'm a runner and I'm running Boston. It's not supposed to be all fun runs and strawberry pancakes. Sometimes it is tears or injuries that make you shift your focus to next year.

    Here I go again on my own, going down the only road I've ever known. Boston's roads will be different and I hope to run with Bryan as long as possible, but in the end we all run alone. I'll tell you one thing - I will be praying a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bryan/Brett,

    Great to see that you guys still got it. I cant run more then 6 miles at one time without getting bored anymore. Right now, I dont have enough time to train for a marathon, so I guess thats why I just run for fitness now. Im hoping to train for one in the next few years. Hope all is well with you guys. Good luck in the race. Ill probably following you guys online. By the way, Im moving to Baltimore in a couple weeks. Itll be an adjustment. Ha.

    Scott Maurer

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for inviting me to read! I love good blogs!!!! Best of luck to you too- I forgot Boston was so close. I am proud of you and can't wait to hear about it. Then you can turn around and coach me to a BQ :)

    ReplyDelete