Wednesday, January 20, 2010

My Aim....is to Have No Aim!

Lately I've been feeling like I serve my running as opposed to the other way around. I've just been a little burned out on constantly having a big goal and imposing deadlines on myself. I promised myself that when I got out of college I would stop doing that to myself. Back then I was so sick of always having a conference meet to peak for and a clock ticking on my training. I've let myself fall back into that mentality and for me it is time to stop.

The few years after college I found a nice rhythm where I was still serious about my running, but there was no pressure involved. I would run an average of 10 miles a day and still have some good intensity, but I would just race whenever I felt like I was in adequate shape. I'm trying to get myself back to that state of mind. I think I'm doing better. I've even allowed myself to miss a few days without getting depressed about it.

I know I sound soft, but I've always loved running because like life, you go through different phases and your priorities shift. I'm simply at a time in my life where I don't always want my running to dictate my bed time or schedule. I mean if I'm out on the town and feel candy in my heels, I'm going dancing all night long.

I'm still having fun with my running and I think I'm getting in pretty good shape. So I guess whenever I decide to toe the line we'll see if my laid back theory hurts the times or if relaxing a little bit will be better for the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment