Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The Seasons They Are a Changing

Recently I feel like the seasons are changing. Not the weather, but my seasons of running and of life.

Ever since I've been an adult (whatever that means) I have always been described by my friends and family as stoic. Now while some people might take offense to a label like that, I found comfort. Nothing ever really seemed to discourage me or make me feel stressed. I could handle a healthy college course load while competing for a division one running program. It was never easy, but I just did what I had to do. That applied most of all to my training. Weather, mood, sleep, nutrition or schedule never prevented me from running. Now all of a sudden any excuse is a good one.

I always tell customers in the store that the main thing I love about running is that it serves whatever purpose you want it to in your life. Some run to lose weight, others train to deal with stress and many view it as a sport and compete against themselves or the clock. I also often admit to customers that when I first started running I didn't like it. I liked being good at it, but not really the act. Then in college I really fell in love with running. After graduation I continued the runner's lifestyle and never had a problem sustaining it until recently. Certain days I'll still pop out of bed and lace up the shoes without any reservations. Mornings like today however it seems impossible for me to even imagine getting out of bed. What is this sudden disinterest with running? I think the reality is that the role of running in our lives is constantly morphing into something new and different.

Now as I can feel my season of running changing the question is what will take it's place. Will I become a weekend warrior and give up the hopes of clocking a good time? Perhaps I will benefit from the train less, run faster philosophy? I don't know the answers to these questions, but I'll find out soon enough I suppose.

--Bryan

1 comment:

  1. idding, sort of! Don't fool yourself Bryan, the demons inside of you that demand a daily sacrifice of sweat and blood will not be satiated so easily. Just because they are silent right now does not mean that they have abandoned their post. Just wait... and then in the silence of your quiet and perfect evening when you're sitting around the fire pit feeling all stoically happy with your life... bam! They will rear their ugly heads and you'll begin to feel like some sort of punk for having slid down the gravy trail. Don't slide down it brother - too hard to get back up. I tried for four years with you by my side and couldn't do it!

    Brett

    ReplyDelete