Monday, October 11, 2010

Running and Rowing



What a night - who could have expected that we would have so much fun with a run and a row? Sarah has picked up rowing on the rivers around the Norfolkarea and is now officially in a rowing club. She's still learning and tonight was her first time "skulling" in this particular kind of boat by herself. Intense! But "she's a natural" as Debbie, her coach in the "launch" says to me as wedrift down the river so she can coach Sarah and two other new rowers. Pretty awesome.

So Sarah and I had this idea that I would run with her while she biked to go row tonight - we were going to do it a few days ago but the idea fell through. I would get there and read or something, maybe take a few
pics, and she would row, then we'd go home the same way we got there. Well I had no idea I would end up getting the amazing privilege of riding in the "launch" or the
boat that the coach rides in while the rowers do their thing.

So I ran and Sarah biked three point four miles to her rowing spot and then I got to go with them! Sweet. He
e's a pic from inside the boat so you can see how close we were most of the time, although we had to leave and go coach the other rowers too - sad. I got to thinking on the run home how cool it would be if there as some way that a coach could get runners early enough and drive in front of them (maybe with a golf cart of something - someone else driving so they could watch), and they could shout directions the way Coach
Debbie was tonight! Man, that would be something. "Relax! Swing your arms up higher and extend your stride a little bit. Bend your knees more." But instead we are so engrossed by our form when we finally get to a coach who can correct us that it might be damn near impossible to change.

Ok, one more picture, and then a run home!



2 comments:

  1. OK, I don't usually comment on your blog but GO SARAH! I rowed for a bit in college - mostly a four person shell - and it was amazing! I was so sad when I moved to Memphis and realized that the Mississippi's flow rate was too high to ever row on! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya she's really liking it. The folks that let me get in the launch were telling me it's my turn to get in the water and in a boat. We'll see... since Sarah likes it so much I'll probably try to get involved. I mean how fun would it be to row together!! I'll send on your encouragements to Sarah.

    ReplyDelete