Monday, August 25, 2014

Adding Another BaddRunner to the Pack

Recently I set a new goal for myself.  My aim is to run my legs into the ground sometime prior to January 28th. I'm not trying to permanently ruin my body, but simply be in need of a long break around that time.  The reason is quite simple...Procreation!

My wife and I are expecting our first little BaddRunner in late January and I don't expect to get much quality running done in the immediate aftermath of its birth.  I decided that my first step toward my goal would be to do a marathon in late October.  One of the crazy busy seasons for my job starts in early November and my training is always up and down during that time anyway.  So hopefully I can knock out a marathon before the intense road trips and then stay in shape for some shorter races before Baby Time.

The Spinx Carolina Marathon takes place on October 25th and I am planning on toeing the line there.  The course is rumored to be relatively flat for South Carolina and pretty fast.  It is also an area of the country that I have never visited.  We are hoping to make a nice journey out of it and head to Charleston or some other interesting stops in the area. I have not done a marathon since Boston '09 so the experience will be interesting no matter what else happens on the trip.  

Boston in 2009 with 1 Mile to go. 

Do not adjust your settings, those are Man-Pris pants!

After the race the BaddRunners had a tough time walking down the stairs. 


This season will be the first time in a long time that I have trained with a specific goal in mind.  After running competitively for ten years in school I got a little burned out on tracking mileage, workouts and results.  It will also be exciting to see what kind of motivation and focus I can conjure up for the occasion.  So all aboard the Pain Train and if you see me bearing done on you with the Eye of the Tiger then you best step off the tracks!   

No comments:

Post a Comment