Thursday, August 4, 2016

Running in a Monsoon. Guam Adaptations.

My wife and I moved to Guam this past July and have been here just over a month.  So what is it like running in Guam?  Mostly hot, humid, and all of the other characteristics of living near equator. Normally it looks like this photo.

Today, however, I experienced running in a monsoon for the first time.  We have entered the rainy season.  The plus is the temperature is ten degrees plus less and without the sun I was almost cold feeling the rain hit my body as I began the run.  The downside was the rain hitting me in the eyes at an almost horizontal approach with a good amount of vigor to it.  My first typhoon might be a little scary but how can you not run in it?  I might find out.

So far running in Guam is lots of roads and sidewalks, but I know there are trails to be found if I'm willing to drive to the run.  For now I've been lazy and just running from where ever we happen to be living.

I would like to share what I was thinking about during most of the run today, while monsooning.  As I was about to leave I told the man who owns the house we are renting a room in I was going for a quick four miles (it ended up being six - sweet).  He responded by saying, "I envy you."  He then went on to briefly say that thirty pounds ago he was more active and the whole deal.

During the run I thought about that comment a lot.  I thought about the truth, which he knows already too, of how it's all about just taking it easy and getting out the door.  Four miles or more might keep him indoors but what about a mile or a half a mile?  Do that for a few weeks until he's ready for four.  Or just stay with that distance.

(Even with the clouds that clearly spell out rain, sometimes it is just time
to run.  Also I wore this shirt as a shout out to the Arlington team)
I have talked to plenty of people who made me feel about my running the same as how my host felt when I said I was running four miles.  My friend +Benjamin Winrow who has done multiple +100 mile runs through mountains comes to mind.  I tried running with him for a few months and still bear the sore knee that could not handle his intensity and distances.

But that's the way it is right?  There is always someone out there who can inspire us to run farther, faster, longer, higher, in new places, in new ways, etc.  Shoot, just take the Olympics for example.  I guess when I thought about it, this is one of the main reasons +Bryan Baddorf and I write this blog (although it's been a long time since our last post).  The hope we can inspire someone to get out of their door and eat some miles, even if it only inspires us to run so we can post about it.  Wouldn't that be enough?  

So get out there and inspire someone to run.  Don't belittle anyone for running slower or shorter distance or for not running in mountains or whatever.  Just allow your running dreams and realities to spur others on into runs.  I certainly hope our running does that for others.

Oh and in case you want to follow us on Strava check us out and then we can follow you too.
Brett    Bryan    Hopefully those links will get you there.

(Not bad views even in the rain)




6 comments:

  1. I loved watching the rain come in from the ocean.... and the smell after the rain. Hunker down during a typhoon however ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just watched that happen tonight Andi and it was quite amazing. It seemed to be raining on every ounce of Guam except for where we sat, but it enveloped us eventually and came down all over us. The bays here really allow you to see the rain coming in something special.

      Delete
    2. I just watched that happen tonight Andi and it was quite amazing. It seemed to be raining on every ounce of Guam except for where we sat, but it enveloped us eventually and came down all over us. The bays here really allow you to see the rain coming in something special.

      Delete
  2. Yep, a half mile turns into a mile turns into two, etc... Perhaps you'll inspire your landlord to lace up his running shoes again and get back out on the walking/running trails. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right Deb. I'm going to keep on getting out there and hope it does inspire him a little bit, but in the meantime I'm going to also let it inspire my own need for running. I'm going to fuel the fires by watching some Olympics too!!

      Delete
    2. That's right Deb. I'm going to keep on getting out there and hope it does inspire him a little bit, but in the meantime I'm going to also let it inspire my own need for running. I'm going to fuel the fires by watching some Olympics too!!

      Delete