Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Not Running Can Be Your Best Training Tool

All the time people come into the store and talk about how their running has plateaued and they just feel flat and tired. We talk through their training and I quickly realize that these people have been running for years at a time with no real break from their training. Most coaches and experts would agree that our bodies need rest between training cycles. I'm all for pushing the body's limits and running through pain, but breaks are essential for getting your body fresh so you can rebuild for the next racing season.

I plan about 4 weeks off from running each year whether I need it or not. I take 2 weeks off between training cycles and try to get about 2 cycles in on a calendar year. Then when I do start back I build up gradually, never increasing my intensity and my volume the same week. Sometimes if you take a step back like that you can step up when the time comes. It's just smart training and it keeps you fresh mentally because you're not always pushing for that PR. You have several months of easy running as you're getting back into the cycle. That's where I am right meow....fresh off the break and building up slowly.

Of course every runner is different and there are as many training regiments out there as there are runners....so to each their own...I'm just tellin you what has been working for this BaddRunner.

2 comments:

  1. Good point Bryan. I am impressed by guys that run a marathon and keep going straight into their next week, but I don't even think I can. My legs are enjoying the break after Boston and it is much needed. Enjoy legs cause it won't happen for long!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "That's where I am right meow..." Seriously, Bryan? Your mustache would never have let you write/say something like that. Grow it back.
    -Bryce

    ReplyDelete