Monday, June 1, 2009

Sweat Out The Weakness...

I've run for huge high school teams, small college squads and no team but my own. I've trained with my rivals, best friends and family. I always laughed at people who would miss a training day for no real reason at all. And yet suddenly I have become that guy who only runs when conditions are right. I'm not even talking about just the weather. I have to feel like running and have a group to meet up with. Several times recently I've found myself without a running buddy on a morning run and actually stayed in bed instead of hit the roads. What has happened to me? Did I get spoiled having a consistent group to train with during our recent marathon training? Has the 26.2 simply zapped my desire to get out there? Whatever the reason....or do we call them excuses....I've found myself in state of weakness.

The good news in all of this is that I've identified my weakness much as an alcoholic admits to his addiction. Apparently I'm addicted to comfort and idleness. Well I've decided to change. No longer will the weather influence my distance. I'll charge out in the rain and be washed clean of my laziness. I will sweat the weakness from my pours in the 100 degree heat. I call running the pain train for a reason. It's time to hop aboard and let out some steam. And I'm not referring to racing yet....you can't race mean until you train mean. Pain has to be practiced.

So all aboard....choo choo...

2 comments:

  1. It's true. You have become a sissy of sorts. Bryan and I were just talking about that yesterday morning when you weren't running with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like you've already identified the problem, but my High School Cross Country coach had something called the 20 minute rule that has worked pretty well for me. No matter what get out of bed and run at least 20 minutes. We all know we feel better after we get a mile into our run.

    Check out the at www.seriousrunning.com and search "20 minute rule" for more info.

    Glad you're back out running!

    ReplyDelete