Monday, January 6, 2014

Marriage is Like Running, Like Running is like Marriage

When running with someone it seems that just about any conversation, whether silly or serious, can find its way into a mid-run conversation.  Often the relaxed nature of the run allows for a comment that might not be made just sitting around.

So when my running buddy (just love the sound of running buddy) and I started talking about marriage this morning it was no surprise.  We bounced back and forth between the vast topics of marriage and finally settled on discussing the work that is necessary for any relationship to continue, despite how much you love someone.  There are just times when we need to put in some effort in loving someone if the relationship is going to work.

It's amazing how virtually everything in my life can be compared to running.  Marriage is no exception and perhaps works better than most.  When I look back at all the moments of serious training in my life, there was always a "lady" so to speak waiting at the end.  A state meet, conference championships, regionals, a marathon, or any of the endless races that running has brought my way.  It is safe to say that in all of that training it was quite rare to reach the goal without some distinct trial(s) or obstacle(s).

At times those hinderances may have even seemed insurmountable, but, as we runners do, putting one foot forward and working towards the goal eventually gets us there (even if we limp over the line).  I posted this photo of my wife and me from a recent hike we did together.  I love it because in many ways it symbolizes the compromises and hard work loving someone can be.  In this case my wife is looking past my mustache (which is gone now) and my foolish (but fun) swim in a waterfall which has left me looking like that to dry off.  Look at that smile.  She has not only fallen in love with me, but actively chooses to continue loving me, often looking past much to do so.

Marriage is like running and running is like marriage.  For me, marriage is a run that ends when I die.  Hopefully this will be a long and enjoyable run.  It's one I will finish with this lovely lady.  It will take a little work along the way but mostly it will just take waking up every day and looking towards my goal.  And as I step out the door to do my training, I will love every step of this marriage!

No comments:

Post a Comment