Wednesday, December 18, 2013

The Connection Between Running and Facial Hair

(Currently I am training for my first mountain
 marathon and it just feels right to have a
mustache - my wife says it's my face
and begrudgingly accepts it.  She
secretly love its even if she doesn't know.)
I was talking with a man the other day who shaved his mustache of thirty years under the pressure of his children's wishes.  Besides not recognizing him at first and wondering how he could keep such a static facial expression of himself, this discussion got me thinking about a topic dear to my heart: growing facial hair.

I suppose it all started in seminary when a thought grew into my head that I should grow a beard, and not just any beard but a beard worthy of my current quest in life.  Thus began a long and strange affair into the art of growing and sculpting facial hair.

One thing I noticed almost immediately was that I felt as though my personality slightly changed depending on the facial hair I wore.  Subtle changes that allowed me to also to toy around with redefining who I was as a person from time to time.

This was the process of how growing facial hair became intertwined with my running.  I remember distinctly the conversation with my brother Bryan.  "We are getting ready to run our first marathon. The Memphis marathon is in early December.  Don't you think we should have beards?"  You can imagine the in depth conversation that followed with many ins-and-outs.
(This shot of my brother and dad shows the glory of the
chops.  One of my favorites!)

A few years later as we trained for the Boston marathon we had a similar talk. "You know Boston is in April and the beard just does not feel right."  And to the chagrin of our wives one of us said, "I am thinking mustaches."  So we grew some monstrous mustaches and we ran out butts off in the pursuit of our Boston Unicorn.

It may seem strange but the growth of random facial experiments has now become an intricate part of mine and my brother's running.  Mustaches, beards, chops, and even being clean shaven have become a part of being a Baddrunner!

(In absence of finding a good shot with
a beard I'll add the Boston mustache
marathon run shot.  It was a rough day
but who's mustache looked better?)
It does not always make sense when the call of the Beard or the Stache suddenly calls upon us.  At times the Beard will come forth during summer.  The Stache, no matter how awesome or often worn, still holds suspicion and doubt for guys our age to wear.  But much as we run, we grow our facial hair as we feel it is appropriate.

Just as often people bluntly, with a look as though there is something wrong with me will ask, "Why do you run?" Similarly people wonder about the facial hair. As with running those who learn to love facial hair understand in a way that those who do not cannot fathom.

I suppose at this point running is not necessary for my love of crafting what my face grows, but it certainly does still help me to have an excuse for why I am growing it when explaining to my wife.
(I was looking for one where the beard had actually reached
a more respectable status but this will have to do. This trail
that runs alongside the DC canal is nice!) 

5 comments:

  1. Just found this link for a run centered around mustaches - check out the photo of the medals!

    http://www.moustacherun.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually had my wife read this after me because you sir, spoke the words of my heart! Now, go to Facebook and see my recently posted red mane. It's got a mind of it's own, I tell you. And yes, I find myself feeling like a new man sometimes when I grow it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. North, South... the thing that brings the Civil War together in my mind is amazing facial hair. So tragic that our ancestors could not have taken more time to recognize the amazing facial hair that each side was growing... it would have either brought peace or a more fierce battle (which is almost impossible so I'm thinking peace). The respect would have been too great to fight. If anyone else reads this, John and I have a history that merges running, facial hair, and the Civil War.

      Delete
  3. By the way, Dallas Running Tours is the one and only John Lintner. You can search Facebook and find many John Lintners, but they aren't the "one and only," because that would be me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post. It is true. Sometimes I can't tell if my facial hair influences my mood or if my mood is reflected in my facial hair. Definitely a connection there.

    ReplyDelete