Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Rubbing is Racing

I have been very humbled by my running over the past few years as my speed and recovery have begun to fade.  This led to a bit of frustration as I continued to race but expected the same results from when I was 25.  Not to say that I am old or washed up at 31, but I've learned to set new goals that are not always based on time or place.  Two things that I have been focusing on in recent races or workouts are Running Smooth and Competing.  These are great goals because they are relative to each person and can even be different for each run.

Some days my smooth is 8 minute pace and some days I can work in some speed and still keep my stride together.  This is also why I have quit following a rigid workout schedule.  Some days my body is not going to respond and I think it's foolish to push it hard on those days and expect results.  So I shoot from the hip and do quality when my body feels awake.  As long as I can keep it Smooth.  Of course the flip side to this is that I'm being lazy or weak by not following a workout plan and pushing myself more.  I think I'm fine with that as well.  My real goal is to enjoy running and stay fit.  I've followed enough rigorous training schedules while competing in middle school, high school and college to get my fill.  Now I'm just trying to be Smooth.

Competing can also be relative.  Some days you're competing with yourself and others you're rubbing elbows with your rivals.  I hate running a race and feeling like I have no control of the outcome.  On those days I hit one pace right off the gun and just suffer through the discomfort.  Good races are when I'm mentally engaged in what is happening around me.  I'm talking to my body and running the course effectively.  I have had several of those days in the last few weeks including the Memphis Turkey Trot.  This year's course was harder than most, especially the first half.  So I let the leaders go out hard and beat each other up.  I think I was in 12th place at the 2 mile mark and finished 4th overall.  Along the way I passed some very respectable area runners, three of which I had never beaten before.  I kept Smooth, in control and Competed.  It came down to a lively finish at the end as well (picture below, but kind of blurry.)  It was a fun day and not because of my place or time, but because I wasn't a victim to the race.  I influenced the outcome and Competed.

Enjoy the run and don't be afraid to compete.  Stay smooth my friends!

1 comment: