Sunday, December 1, 2013

Post Run Chill

There is no better feeling than having just finished an early morning run and having that one "in the bank" so to speak.  A quick little jaunt with my new running buddy in some beautiful weather - fabulous.

I just love it.  Kicking back and propping up my new Pearl Izumi socks my brother Bryan sent me.  I popped two ibuprofen for the sore knee and started my rigorous daily hydration.  The sun is beginning to warm the room and my mind is at ease knowing it's a good day because it's a day of running.

Bryan always used to talk about silencing his running demons through his  daily running.  The idea being that if he did not run at all, or did not run far enough, he would be tormented internally - entire days ruined by the absence of a nice run.

Running just makes me feel right.  Other physical activity will due in a pinch, say if I'm too busy to run thanks to a super long day of hiking or something like that.  But nothing substitutes for a good run.

The rhythm of feet hitting the ground.  The affects it has on the body and mind.  The chance to think through whatever is going on in my life.  There's truly something special about the whole process.

Lately on my runs I've been thinking about runs long past - people, places, events, particular races, certain competitors, and the lot.

The other day I was thinking of some good friends who came to run with me at Samford, the younger guys.  It was a long run and my mind wandered through the outcomes of their experiences at the school as runners, which for the most part ended poorly mostly due to some issues that arose with the program.  It was a confusing time for everyone on the team.  As I ran it seemed as though I could see more clearly into the past and I did not like how I saw my part in the whole process.  I saw who I should have been for those younger guys and my heart broke a little bit.  I suppose there were distractions - my personal pursuits to become a better runner, school itself, life, and I'm sure I was way too focused on a girl at the time.  It was painful to think of the team as it should have (could have) been and to see my lack of focus as the leader at the time failing them.  I expressed this to one of them recently and he aptly said, "Hindsight is 20/20."  True enough.

It's not that it's about a pity trip into the past though.  For me it's about literally running into the future and not making the same mistakes, while at time same time trying to account for the past.  Running and my running mentors have given me much.  I have given back a lot and am quite proud of many moments where running has been an opportunity for me to pour back into others.  I think this one just sticks with me because I love the guys I ran with at Samford.  I loved running there.  We could have done better, not just in running but in our lives as a team.  I hope those who look back on those days linger in the same nostalgic euphoric state that I do as I recall it as a whole.  Most days I miss the runs - the dinners - the laughs - the team.  What a great group of guys.

Eventually I would like to start another blog as a place where as runners we can all post to share our experiences - our stories that come from running.  Could be really cool.  Not yet though.  For now, keep running and keep on encouraging others to stay in motion!

No comments:

Post a Comment